Choosing the right skincare can be a minefield. What works best to clear pesky blackheads, whiteheads and acne can differ by skin type and lifestyle. The truth is, you pretty much have to experiment with different products to see which ones work best for you. What most dermatologists will tell you though, is that a consistent skincare routine with superstar ingredients will help level the playing field when it comes to banishing blemishes.
Lifestyle, hormones, diet and exposure to environmental stressors must all be factored in when finding a blemish-fighting solution. However, as a basic rule for eliminating blackheads, whiteheads and acne, there’s a few products and ingredients that you’ll want to include in your routine.
The AM Acne Skincare Routine
- Cleanse. A consistent cleansing routine for acne prone skin is especially important most when it comes to clogged pores and blemished skin. Depending on your skin type you may want to cleanse morning and evening. If cleansing twice a day is too harsh for your skin, just give your face a gentle rinse with water in the morning and save your cleanser for the evening. We recommend our Electro-Lite Gel Cleanser - it's gentle gel-to-foam formula with exfoliating Biotech Enzyme and Hydroclay works to deeply cleanse and refine the skin’s texture, keeping your skin in tip-top condition all day.
- Gently exfoliate. Depending on your skin type, try using glycolic acid or a soft scrub to remove dirt and prevent dead skin cells from clogging pores and causing acne. When it comes to tackling blackheads, it’s worth trying a salicylic acid based exfoliator 2-3 times a week to give a one-two punch through manual exfoliation combined with the dirt-dissolving powers of salicylic acid.
- Moisturize with an antioxidant serum. Don’t be afraid to moisturise. Hydration is key to regulating the production of sebum. Lightweight water-based hydrating serums can bring the luminosity you love, while keeping excess oil at bay.
Vitamin C antioxidant serums are supremely effective in acne control because they hydrate while acting as both a protector and preventer. Vitamin C protects against aggressors such as UV and air pollution that inflame and damage the skin. It also helps to prevent damage by stimulating the production of new, healthy cells.
Broad Spectrum sunscreen is vital to any skincare routine. It helps prevent UVA/UVB damage that can trigger excess oil production and darkening of acne scars.
The PM Acne Skincare Routine
- Remove make-up gently and daily. No excuses. Make-up must be removed to avoid clogging pores, dead skin cells and dirt from the day. Use a gentle cleanser and gentle hands to remove all traces of cosmetics. Avoid pulling and tugging the skin as this can cause irritation and sensitivity, not to mention fine lines.
- Cleanse. Use a gentle face wash or cleansing balm to thoroughly cleanse skin. The key to dealing with blackheads and whiteheads is to unclog pores to prevent them from becoming enlarged in the first place. While pore size is mostly genetic and you can’t ‘get rid’ of them, you can unclog them to shrink them back to their normal size. One of the most effective ways to do this is by reaching for glycolic and salicylic acids. They gently dissolve the bonds that bind dirt and dead skin cells to the skin’s surface, helping to achieve clear and blemish free skin.
- Serum. Apply a regenerative serum in the evening to accelerate your natural healing and rejuvenation cycle.
- Moisturizer. Apply a moisturiser to seal in skincare benefits and hydrate skin overnight. Look for hyaluronic acid and niacinamide fuelled formulas that boost skin hydration, while calming redness, breakouts and sensitivity.
Say goodbye to blemishes and acne that plague your skin with a dedicated skincare routine designed to reduce the appearance of enlarged pores, control oil production and balance your skin’s moisture levels.
To speed up your way to clearer skin, try FaceGym’s Clean + Lift Workout. Clean + Lift combines FaceGym's Signature Sculpt Workout with a blast of Co2 and hyaluronic acid to deep clean pores and dissolve the dead skin cells and dirt that clog up your skin. Powered by Skin IV™️ technology, the Clean + Lift workout treats a number of specific skin needs to improve tone and texture with shots of vitamins and acids such as Glycolic, salicylic, vitamin A , E and C, to refine skin texture, fade pigmentation and even out skin tone.
Choosing the right skincare can be a minefield. What works best to clear pesky blackheads, whiteheads and acne can differ by skin type and lifestyle. The truth is, you pretty much have to experiment with different products to see which ones work best for you. What most dermatologists will tell you though, is that a consistent skincare routine with superstar ingredients will help level the playing...