Combination skin means that different areas of the face look and feel different. In some places such as the T-zone, it may appear oily. In others such as the cheeks, a little dry or normal. Combination skin is often prone to blackheads, shiny patches and enlarged pores.
Is Combination Skin Genetics Or Our Environment?
Environmental factors have a significant role to play in how your skin expresses what’s going on inside your body. But more often than not, it’s what you inherited from your parents. Having the right skincare routine can help bring your skin back into balance, and the wrong skincare routine can actually cause irritation and create combination skin. Let’s look at what a good skincare routine for combination skin involves.
A Combination Skincare Routine
The thing to remember about combination skin is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. You have to divide and conquer your face by treating the oily and dry parts differently. Before you panic, don’t worry. You definitely don’t need a million different products or hours of your day dedicated to a skincare routine. We have a few tips on how to manage combination skin with minimum time and hassle:
- Gentle face wash. Wash your face with a water-soluble cleanser. Remove dirt, debris and make-up without leaving the skin feeling tight or greasy. A great all-rounder combination skin cleanser we love is FaceGym's Electro-Lite Gel Cleanser. Our formula includes exfoliating Biotech Enzyme and Hydroclay that work together to deeply cleanse, refine and balance combination skin.
- Antioxiant-rich toner. Toners for combination skin are great because they replenish the skin and minimise oiliness at the same time. The key is to avoid drying out the dry patches and stimulating excess oil in oily places. Having an antioxidant-rich toner is very beneficial because it’s also defending your skin against environmental stressors that damage skin cells triggering dryness or excess oil production.
- Gentle exfoliation. Using a Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) exfoliator that’s lightweight or water-like in texture, is great for gently sloughing away dirt, debris and dead skin cells without abrading the skin. It’s important to exfoliate both dry and oily areas to unclog pores and smooth out rough skin.
- Serum. Apply a serum to the dry areas of your face that’s lightweight and packed with skincare superheroes such as hyaluronic acid, antioxidant and niacinamide. Giving these patches a boost of hydration helps to restore balance to your overall complexion. One of the best serums for combination skin includes FaceGym's Hydro-Bound Daily Serum for its concentrated moisture boost, brightening and smoothing properties.
- Moisturise. Choose a lightweight moisturiser that’s specifically formulated for combination skin. Look for one whose benefits include smoothing, softening and hydrating skin. Whether your skin is dry or oily, moisturising is critical to restore balance and prevent excess oil production if the skin thinks it’s too dry. FaceGym's Supreme Restructure Firming Moisturizer contains concentrated fresh-water Pyrenean Microalgae balances the skin, with added Tobacco Plant-derived Epidermal Growth Factors that help the skin re-charge with Collagen and Hyaluronic Acid.
Good skin comes from a good skincare routine. Great skin is made by taking your skincare routine to the next level with facial workouts. When it comes to facial workouts for combination skin, we recommend FaceGym’s Clean + Lift Workout. The iconic FaceGym Signature Sculpt Workout is boosted with Skin IV™️ technology and a cocktail of vitamins (including a targeted vitamin shot) to deeply penetrate the layers of the skin. You can also add in Cryo Oxygen booster to deliver a one-two shot of Co2 and Hyaluronic acid for dewy, glowing skin.
Understanding how to balance your combination skin will bring back the energy, glow and vitality of healthy-looking skin.